It's been a long, hard week...
1) A week ago my dad went to the ER with what was believed to be a stroke...after further testing it was revealed he has what appears to be a tumor on the right side of his brain. He goes in for a biopsy Tuesday. How our lives have changed in the last week...his and my mom's most of all.
2) While in the hospital Dad's constant source of strength was the Word of God, which he has so faithfully hidden in his heart for the last 25+ years. Even with slurred speech and other affects of the swelling on his brain, as well the tumor, all who entered his room were bathed in the truths of God's Word...from Dad's own mouth.
3) We've been using a cardboard advent calendar with a beautiful nativity on front to prepare our hearts for Christmas. It's been a fun opportunity to go over the story of Jesus' birth each and every night and our kiddos have loved opening each cardboard window to see the picture and read the scripture revealed inside. Our three year old has it memorized, at least the first ten days or so, almost verbatim, beginning with, "Now the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a city of Galilee called Nazareth."
4) I have long talked of how important Scripture memory is, how I long to make it a priority, but talk is cheap and I have done little to hide God's Word in my heart. The example of my dad and my daughter has been humbling and convicting and I have been asking God to give me a love for His Word that far surpasses my love for sleep or blogs or magazines...I am working to memorize Proverbs 3:1-10 over the next several weeks/month.
5) My middle son is all boy. He is so very aware of trucks and construction vehicles and tools. Bless his heart...I have told him the name of most construction vehicles and he is so excited when he sees "diggers". I'm pretty sure that's not what they are really called, but what he doesn't know doesn't hurt him. He's been diligently building me a house for weeks. He loves his mommy...it's even going to have a fireplace, between the master bedroom and bath I hope!
6) I threw my kids in the backyard today after lunch, without jackets. It has to be 70 some degrees. And I say, thank you, God for Texas weather!!!
7) With my first born I knew when every milestone should take place and recorded each incredible moment. My poor third born...I asked my husband the other day, "When should babies start rolling over?" We have no idea. I may get out my "What to Expect the First Year", but then again, I may not!
8) I cannot explain the joy it brings me when people tell me my daughter reminds them of me...I guess it's because I love her so. She is a delight. While at my in-laws, feeding the bunny, she tightly held her brother's hand and put out her arm to keep him from moving forward, "Don't stick your fingers in there, Bubby. It's a bunny!!!" I giggled about it again even as I typed it.
9) We unpacked all of our Christmas decorations last week but did not get them up before heading out west to be with my family. We leave to head back to my parents' on Friday...I'm debating whether or not I put a few things up or put them all back into their boxes. Maybe I'll just put my favorite nativities out and a gorgeous set of candle holders my hubby and I especially enjoy in the evenings when it's just the two of us.
10) My washer has been doing a funky thing for probably six months and today, by shear accident, I fixed it. Even though it was completely unintentional, I'm still pretty pleased with myself.
11) The Christmas lights on our front porch just came on. My husband worked so hard to put them up to resemble curtains drawn. I LOVE them, and him, well, I love him even more. Our first Christmas he cut out a J-O-Y sign for our front yard, with baby Jesus, Mary and Joseph nestled in the O. I always have a project for him and he is such an amazing man, he always comes through...
12) For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given; and the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6